Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

POA Board Meeting/Virtual

October 22, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION OF HILLTOP LAKES, INC.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING

October 22, 2020

OPEN SESSION @ 7:00 P.M. – ZOOM Webinar*

 

PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION OF HILLTOP LAKES, INC.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING

October 22, 2020

OPEN SESSION @7:00 P.M. – ZOOM Webinar

MINUTES

 

Present:  President Annette Craig, Vice President Bill Johnson, Treasurer Steve Brodine, Secretary Dene Huettel, Directors Melody Vidaurri, John Lagravier and Mike Sizemore.  Director  Randy Schiamara was absent. Director Dee Kirk resigned before the meeting for balance of year.

 

  1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER AT 7:09 P.M. BY Annette Craig

 

 

  1. APPROVAL OF AGENDA was motioned for approval by Director Vidaurri, seconded by Vice-President Johnson. Director Vidaurri made a motion to amend Old Business Hog Control to Decision to increase bounty of hogs rather than Discussion only.  Director Sizemore seconded.  Agenda with amendment was accepted unanimously.

 

  • READING AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES (September 24th) Director Lagravier motioned to accept the Minutes; Director Sizemore seconded. Director Vidaurri motioned to accept the Minutes with 2 minor changes made.  Vote to accept with 2 minor changes was unanimous.

 

  1. MEMBERS TO BE HEARD – There were no Members to Be Heard forms turned in prior to meeting.  Members were asked to type questions in the Q&A section.  There were no questions asked.

 

 

  1. RECAP OF DECISIONS TAKEN WITHOUT A MEETING – DISCUSSION ONLY
  • Approved $7,300 for normal operating supplies for Golf Course
  • Requested Judge Ryder to swear in new POA Board Members in December
  • Agreed to a Committee approach to renew the Security Contract
  • Accepted resignation of Director Dee Kirk
  • Reinstated protocols due to increase of Covid-19 among employees
  • Agreed to change Bank venues for credit cards for staff from Wells Fargo
  • Approval to move to another bank will be implementing as soon as the new Finance Procedures are approved
  • Approved up to $5,000 for Restaurant prep work on floors to get it ready for Health Inspection and purchase of inline grease receptors
  • Implemented additional measures a second time for Maintenance Dept. in response to recent Covid-19 cases – working with skeleton crew
  • Agreed to change this October Board Meeting to ZOOM due to spread of Covid-19 within and around Hilltop Lakes

 

 

 

  1. REPORTS OF OFFICERS – DISCUSSION ONLY
    1. Treasurer’s Report – Treasurer Brodine gave report. COVID-19 has reduced Hilltops income by about $72,000.  The swimming pool expenses were higher due to monitoring the pool with 2 attendants to keep capacity where it should be.

He explained that late invoices now and then change numbers from month to month.  Balance Sheet:  Net Cash = Total Cash – total payables and notes.  Total cash is better than last month.  Covid-19 has had an impact on Other People’s Money.  Even with COVID-19, September showed a profit of $796.00.  Property Owners can get a copy of financials at Welcome Center. The 2021 Budget will be ready for the Nov. 14 Annual Members Meeting.

 

  1. President’s Report – President Craig stated that the last 3-5 weeks have been challenging due to COVID-19. The Board has taken appropriate action to deal with the virus. The POA Board authorization is what we require for business.  The Board can make requirements for employees of HTL and residents on Common Ground, but it cannot mandate how nonemployees behave when not in or on common property.  “We are not the COVID police”.  It is not the Boards place to track who has the virus in the community except for employees.  Nor do we have the right to talk about other people’s health.   President Craig also stated that the Maintenance Department will need time to catch up due to the COVID impact on employees. President Craig also stated that, in regards to Jenark, she expects to have a full report to share with the group on the challenges of Jenark and recommendations to move forward.

 

  • REPORTS OF STANDING COMMITTEES – DISCUSSION ONLY
    1. Architectural Control Committee – Director Lagravier reports 16 active permits to include:
      1. 3 houses, 3 storage buildings and garages, 1 carport, 2 lot clearings, 1 concrete driveway, 1 fence, 4 septic systems, 1 retaining wall
      2. Four (4) permits were issued during September; Two (2) closed in September and 4 violation letters sent in September.
  • Director Lagravier gave some examples of what kind of work does/does not require a permit; painting does not; If it changes the footprint of the property, such as pouring a slab, sidewalk, decks, room additions, septic system, etc., it requires a permit. Always check your deed restriction prior to doing any work.  Before you do anything just call to see if you need a permit.  Some variances are given if reasonable.

 

  1. Nominations and Election Committee – Director Sizemore reported:

We had the first early voting last Saturday, Oct. 17, 2020 – 48 people voted in person; 148 ballots mailed out. About a dozen have come back U.S. mail.  November 7th is election day for POA board candidates from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. currently in the Welcome Center.  We are trying to get it moved to Community Center since it has more room to accommodate the safety needs due to Covid-19.  He also reminded voters to wear a mask.

 

 

 

  • REPORTS OF ADHOC COMMITTEES – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION
    1. Dams & Lakes Committee – DISCUSSION ONLY

Director Sizemore stated that we now have these technical specs, huge maps, and engineering drawings for the bulkhead at Lake Tonkawa.  The committee needs to check and sign documents.  The engineering firm will be submitting papers to TCEQ.  Director Sizemore said they are making good progress on the Tonkawa Lake’s bulkhead project.  Treasurer Brodine asked if they will have to get new bids on the bulkhead replacement project.  Director Sizemore said that it would be necessary given the increase in cost of materials and new, more technical drawings from the engineering firm.  He thanked Bill Johnson for his work on the stilling basin which was completed Friday, October 6, 2020.  They jack-hammered the old concrete and are filling in the area with rock.   In the next few weeks, we will also be clearing 30 to 50 yards of creek behind the basin, so the water does not flow back and erode the basin.  Director Huettel also thanked Dee Kirk for all her work on the dam project.

  1. Security Contract Committee – DISCUSSION ONLY

President Craig said the Security Contract Committee is formed to provide recommendations to the Board. The committee is co-chaired by Melody Vidaurri and Randy Schiamara and the committee members are Bill Ballard, Calvin Balch, Jim Miles, Bill Miller, and Larry Dobbs.  The committee is looking at 3 things:  1) use of off duty officers, 2) recommend changes to current contract to clearly define duties; 3) Hold periodic meetings with HTLPS.  The current security contract with HTLPS expires Dec. 31, 2020.  The new committee will have recommendations for the board by Nov. 16 according to Director Vidaurri.  President Craig stated that there is no secret intent or otherwise to abandon HTLPS but the current contract needs to be re-worked so that it is beneficial to both HTLPS and the POA.

 

  1. Restaurant Committee – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION

Treasurer Brodine stated that Bill Johnson painted floors in Kitchen, the grease trap has been repaired and passed requirements.  Two prospects have expressed interest in the restaurant.  One has experience running multiple restaurants and the other has 35 years’ experience running restaurants. A chef wants to come out and look at restaurant.  We have advertised in the newspapers, on our Website and on Facebook.  Treasurer Brodine also stated that 2 prospects have declined after reading negative comments about the restaurant on Facebook.  Treasurer Brodine asked property owners to consider the community’s needs before making negative comments on Facebook.  Director Sizemore complimented Treasurer Brodine and Vice President Johnson on the work they have been doing.

 

  1. OLD BUSINESS – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION
    1. Golf Course Rules (proposed by Golf Course Committee) – tabled since Director Schiamara was absent.

 

  1. NEW BUSINESS – DISCUSSION AND POTENTIAL ACTON
    1. Health Insurance Renewal – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION

President Craig stated that the board has reviewed the renewal information and that there is an Increase of $23.49 for employee only which is a 3.8 % increase.  She also stated that Open enrollment is in November.  Director Lagravier motioned to accept the 3.8% increase and go with Guardian since it was cheaper for employees and Director Sizemore and Director Vidaurri both seconded.  The motion passed unanimously.

 

  1. Finance Procedures – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION

The new Finance Procedures were discussed in depth covering each item in the policy.  The intent is to close the gap on controls and establish rules if we hire a GM and definitions were reordered in ABC order.

  • The approval limits for supervisors are set for routine budgeted operating expenses, budgeted expenses between $5,000 and $10,000 and for unbudgeted expenditures. Board approval is needed for expenses over $2,000 that are not in budget.  Items that are between $5,000 and $10,000 need Board approval.
  • Capital Expenditures exceeding $10,000 require Board/GM approval.
  • Credit Card usage was updated and limits set.
  • Endorsement of Checks can only be done by authorized signers on the bank account.
  • Outbound ACH Payments must be approved by the Board.
  • Payments over $2,000 require 2 officers’ signatures.
  • Reimbursements are outlined.
  • Vendor Management is outlined.
  • Bid Process is explained in detail to ensure proper protocols.
  • Fixed Asset Reporting will not change.

Director Huettel motioned to accept Finance Policy and Director Vidaurri seconded.  Vote was unanimous.

 

  1. Return of Lots to POA Policy – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION

Director Craig presented a revised policy that would limit the number of lots in inventory at one time.  Motioned to accept by Director Lagravier and Seconded by Director Vidaurri.  All in favor; none opposed.

 

  1. Hog Bounty – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION

Director Vidaurri requested that the POA increase the hog bounty from 150 to 200.  The POA pays $10 per hog, Wildlife Management Team pays $10 and the MGA pays $10.  There was discussion about setting larger traps and the cost to hunters of $20-$30 per arrow when they kill a hog, so they are not making money.  This only takes us to the end of the year, and we are already at 151 hogs removed.   Director Vidaurri motioned for approval of the increase of the hog bounty from 150 to 200.  Director Lagravier seconded.  Approval was unanimous.

 

  1. ADJOURN – Director Sizemore motioned to adjourn; Director Vidaurri seconded.     No discussion. President Craig adjourned the meeting at 8:50.

 

 

_____________________________________________                  ________________________________

Prepared by:                                                                           Date:

 

 

_____________________________________________                  ________________________________

  1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER

 

  1. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

 

  1. READING AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES (September 24th)

 

  1. MEMBERS TO BE HEARD**

 

  1. RECAP OF DECISIONS TAKEN WITHOUT A MEETING – DISCUSSION ONLY

 

  1. REPORTS OF OFFICERS – DISCUSSION ONLY
    1. Treasurer’s Report
    2. President’s Report

 

  1. REPORTS OF STANDING COMMITTEES – DISCUSSION ONLY
    1. Architectural Control Committee
    2. Nominations & Election Committee

 

  1. REPORTS OF ADHOC COMMITTEES – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION
    1. Dams & Lakes Committee – DISCUSSION ONLY
    2. Security Contract Committee – DISCUSSION ONLY
    3. Restaurant Committee – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION

 

  1. OLD BUSINESS – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION
    1. Golf Course Rules (proposed by Golf Course Committee)– DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION

 

  1. NEW BUSINESS – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION
    1. Health Insurance Renewal – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION
    2. Finance Procedures – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION
    3. Return of Lots to POA Policy – DISCUSSION & POTENTIAL ACTION

 

  1. ADJOURN

 

*VIRTUAL meeting is being conducted as a webinar, using ZOOM app/software.  Invitation to participate as attendees included below:

You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: Oct 22, 2020 07:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Oct. POA Board Meeting

Please click the link below to join the webinar:
https://zoom.us/j/96687808297?pwd=WnY4RnRhZ0hGb2p0UjEyZkh2cjVzUT09
Passcode: 345974
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +13462487799,,96687808297# or +16699006833,,96687808297#
Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 929 205 6099 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799
Webinar ID: 966 8780 8297
International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/al0WkQxmd

**Members to be heard request form – this form can be found on the POA Facebook page – posted May 19th; it has also been e-mailed to all property owners and it can be picked up at the Welcome Center.  Form can be e-mailed to AdminAssistant@hilltoplakes.com or turned into the Welcome Center.  Request form must be submitted by 12:00 p.m. on October 22nd to ensure property owner is recognized and able to speak during the webinar.  Alternatively, a board member will be available to read forms for property owners who prefer not to speak.

Details

Date:
October 22, 2020
Time:
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm