- This event has passed.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING September 20, 2018
September 20, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION OF HILLTOP LAKES, INC.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING
September 20, 2018
OPEN MEETING @ 4:00 P.M. – COMMUNITY CENTER
NOTE: THIS MEETING MAY BE VIEWED IN ITS ENTIRETY ON FACEBOOK AT ELECTION Central-POA of Hilltop Lakes, TX
- CALL TO ORDER-OPEN SESSION – President Rocky Walker at 4:00PM
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA – Removed Item IV. B. Discussion and Possible Action – Election of Board Secretary from Agenda. The Board will wait until after the election to seat a new secretary. A motion was made by Director Castilla and seconded by Director Vidaurri to approve the agenda. Vote was unanimous.
III. OLD BUSINESS
- DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION-Contract with Apache Security – A motion was made by Director Castilla and seconded by Director Vidaurri to accept the contract with Apache Security. Director Bledsoe asked if the owner going to attend our scheduled meetings. President Walker confirmed that when possible he said he will attend all POA meetings. The motion to accept passed unanimously.
- DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION-Hotel Rates – A motion to accept the proposed price increases (Room Rental Rates) on the renovated hotel/motel rooms as they are made ready was made by Director Castilla and seconded by Director Vidaurri. Director Bledsoe questioned tracking of the $70 room versus $100 room rentals. Director Castilla recommended tracking be handled through the Finance Committee. The vote was unanimous.
- DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION-Political Sign Update – Director Castilla made a motion to accept the amendment to the Political sign contract stipulating political signs and their placement on property; it was seconded by Director Ryder. We’re amending the Political signs component of the Signs Policy. Director Garrison expressed concern that Hilltop Lakes can restrict one name on each sign. Director Vidaurri responded that the document was vetted per our attorney and he is fine with all the verbiage. Director Bledsoe asked why we as a POA would want to limit the signs to just one candidate per sign. Director Castilla explained that with one name per sign, each candidate gets his/her own name on the sign. It complies with Section 209, state law. Motion passed unanimously.
- DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION-Amend/Update Pool Policy – Exercise and swimming lesson times are from 8:00-10:00AM Tues-Fri. A motion to accept proposal to change as it applies to Exercise and Swimming Lessons was made by Director Castilla and seconded by Director Vidaurri. During discussion motion was amended to change the dates from May 1st through October 31st, weather permitting, by Director Vidaurri and seconded by Director Ryder. This motion passed unanimously; the original motion will be adopted as amended.
- NEW BUSINESS
- DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION-Nominating/Election Procedures – Director Vidaurri motioned to accept the new Nominating and El ections Procedure as written; it was seconded by Director Castilla. Director Bledsoe had concerns about voting on procedures that have been in committee for a year; he wondered why we’re are just now getting them. Director Vidaurri said it’s because we haven’t had one before, except a draft from last year, and they have been working on it up until now. She said it has been vetted and is legal. Director Bledsoe said when this was put in the bylaws he voted against it. Now as the only board member running as a candidate, he’s concerned about being asked to vote on something as a procedure that all candidates are being asked to follow after the elections process has been started. Director Vidaurri further responded that we never had a procedure before; we had a calendar. This is a clean procedure, legal, a lot cheaper. The ballots will be mailed out in October and over 150 have been requested online; we’ve spent around $2700 – last year we spent over $6,000 and we will have no undeliverables. For the first time, the candidates have an address list – you can ask them to vote for you, you can send them your bio. We’ll know within 10 mins after the election who our new board members will be on our scantron sheets. Director Garrison queried the statement regarding 150 requesting a ballot. He said that should worry us because last year between 600-700 voted. Rocky said they can vote in person. To which Director Garrison asked are they really being contacted? Are we fulfilling our obligation, how, when are they going to get a ballot? Director Vidaurri noted that we received 600 out of 6000 that were mailed out (last year). It’s the property owner’s responsibility to update their current mailing address. That’s in our bylaws. Dead addresses were culled out; bulk mail is not forwarded. If you ask for a ballot, you’ll get one – first class. As far as people not knowing – it’s posted everywhere; we voted on it. Director Bledsoe noted that as a board, if last year we have 700 voters and this year we have only 400, are we good with that. President Walker interjected that this way is more thorough than ever before in correcting addresses, getting ballots mailed out, and going to the Welcome Center, walking in to vote. Director Garrison agreed, but is concerned that we aren’t reaching everyone. Director Castilla said we won’t know that until the results of the election when we evaluate after the process. Director Garrison acknowledged that he wants this to work and the N/E Committee is doing a good job. The issue he has is in the first paragraph of the Nominating and Elections Committee Procedures. President Walker pleaded with anyone watching Livestream – if you didn’t get a ballot, go to the Welcome Center, call, email! Director Vidaurri reiterated that our bylaw has already passed to which Director Bledsoe stated his argument isn’t so much with the document, but he has a problem that we’re voting on it now; it’s the timing. The vote was taken. Those voting in favor were Directors Vidaurri, Ryder, Castilla and Huettel; opposed were Directors Garrison and Bledsoe.
- DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION-Election of Board Secretary – Tabled
- ADJOURN – Motion was made, seconded and unanimously passed. Meeting adjourned at 4:49PM.
Respectfully submitted by Dene Huettel, Acting Secretary Date