Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING AUGUST 23, 2018

August 23, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION OF HILLTOP LAKES, INC.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING

AUGUST 23, 2018

OPEN MEETING @ 6:00PM – COMMUNITY CENTER

EXECUTIVE SESSION @ 6:01PM – COMMUNITY CENTER

OPEN MEETING @ 7:00PM – COMMUNITY CENTER

MINUTES

NOTE: THIS MEETING MAY BE VIEWED IN ITS ENTIRETY ON FACEBOOK AT ELECTION Central – POA of Hilltop Lakes, TX

 

Present: Rocky Walker, Melody Vidaurri, Rene’ Castilla, Dee Kirk, Floyd Garrison, Ron Ryder,  Joe Bledsoe, Dene Huettel

Absent: Ray Vogt

 

  1. CALL TO ORDER – OPEN SESSION – President Rocky Walker at 6:00PM

 

  1. ADJOURN TO EXECUTIVE SESSION (CLOSED) – The Board will reconvene in Executive Session as authorized under Section 209.0051, Open Board Meeting, Subsection C to discuss:
  2. Contract – Restaurant
  3. Contract – Roof Repair
  4. Personnel – Appeal

 

  • RECONVENE TO OPEN SESSION at 7:00PM

 

  1. INVOCATION AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

 

  1. APPROVAL OF AGENDA – Motion to approve was made by Director Rene’ Castilla and seconded by Director Floyd Garrison; approved by unanimous vote.

 

  1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES for July 26, 2018 – Motion to approve by Director Rene’ Castilla; seconded by Director Joe Bledsoe; vote was unanimous.

 

  • SUMMARY OF EXECUTIVE SESSION – President Rocky Walker: The Board tabled the restaurant contract and will meet Monday night to discuss. We have a bid to replace Lodge and smaller roofs damaged by hail. Costs to us will be $11,000.

 

  • OLD BUSINESS
  1. DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION – Restaurant Contract

The restaurant contract will be talked about Monday night.

 

  1. NEW BUSINESS
  2. DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION – Hail Damaged Roof Repair

Director Floyd Garrison motioned to accept Grandchamp Roofing’s proposal of $49,000 for roof repairs; seconded by Rene’ Castilla; vote passed unanimously.

  1. DISCUSSION ONLY – Store Survey – Director Melody Vidaurri posted an electronic survey August 6th. The survey was capable of accepting 100 responses; 14 hard copies were turned in to the Welcome Center. Property owners indicated they want the store located near the Post Office. They want beer, wine, lotto tickets, and gas. Basic necessities such as milk and bread should be offered. Some wanted a car wash. She received very positive results with only one no vote. We need another building because everything is being used; HTL will not build a building, but will provide the space with a long-term lease according to our deed restrictions.
  2. DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION – Hotel Rates Increase – Room Contest; seven (7) rooms will be renovated and Lisa Harvey, Activities Director, is asking the Board to consider increasing rates from approximately $70/night to $100/night. Hopefully our occupancy will increase because we are advertising (i.e. business card size ad in TAMU football roster). We want to turn our rooms quicker by increasing our housekeeping staff.
  3. DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION – Political Sign Policy Approval – Dedicatory Policy needs to be updated in line with Federal and State law; sign policy needs to be updated. Quantity of signs will not be enforced at this time according to TPC202.009. Signs are not allowed in driveways or common ground, but POA will not restrict the number of signs you put in your yard. You can even put up a 4×6’ sign (largest). Motion was made by Director Ron Ryder to abandon the political sign section of our Sign Policy due to its illegality and was seconded by Director Melody Vidaurri. Discussion was held recommending Political Sign Policy as a stand-alone policy. Further discussion ensued during which the current and proposed sign policies were read in order that the differences between the two could be noted. Director Rene’ Castilla requested that we table any action until we get a ruling from the attorney. The board determined we will uphold the property owners’ desire to post any number of signs. Director Ryder withdrew his previous motion and formed a new motion that due to pending legal opinion we table Political Sign Policy; Director Vidaurri seconded and vote was unanimous.
  4. DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION – Building for a Hair Salon – We need a building and don’t currently have one. President Walker said if anyone has recommendations, please contact a board member. Former Board President Jim Finegan recommended a Town Center that was in the 2005 Land and Use Study with a Post Office at one end an upscale convenience store at the other and a shopping center in between.
  5. DISCUSSION & POSSIBLE ACTION – Swimming Pool Policy – Issues between ladies that swim and moms with children. President Rocky Walker recommends opening from 10:00AM-8:00PM. Director Melody Vidaurri spoke on following the law. Director Floyd Garrison said this issue is important to all property owners. We need to let these groups talk after the end of the year and see what they can work out. Please attempt to work it out. Director Huettel spoke asking the board to consider a potluck dinner or donut breakfast to meet with the groups and come to consensus.  Director Vidaurri motioned to table the Swimming Pool Policy; Director Huettel seconded; vote was unanimous.

 

  1. COMMUNICATIONS
  2. TREASURER’S REPORT – Director Rene’ Castilla – Our Interim Accounting Manager, Tiffani McKinney, has returned to her full-time teaching job and is no longer full-time at the Welcome Center. We are running behind on our reports, but will have our July & August reports in September.
  3. PRESIDENT’S REPORT – President Rocky Walker

Accountant – We will interview Monday for an Accounting Manager

Hotel Contest – Lisa is still taking applications for rooms

Citizen of the Year – Nomination forms are available at the WC, ProShop, Post Office and on the website (www.hilltoplakes.com)

Lots Marketing – Contracts have been sent to Linebarger, attorney for the school district. As soon as we get them back, we’ll have those lots ready for dispersal.

Ballots – Last year’s voting list – 6,250 were submitted, 424 were undeliverable and 7 were found. We now have a good voting list; recently 5,307 postcards were mailed; you’ll be receiving one shortly.

Playground at the Campground – Looks great thanks to our volunteers!

Contract with Apache Security – We have the contract back from our attorney in email form. It’s been approved.

We’re short-staffed in maintenance, the hotel, and golf course and our volunteers keep stepping up. I want to thank the board for all they do. I appreciate every one of them.

 

  1. MEMBERS TO BE HEARD:

Lisa Harvey – LAKES COMMITTEE – Asked about the status of the updated brochure.

Joyce Perkins – FERAL HOGS – Situation is very bad. She is requesting the board rescind the no-gun policy and allow firearms to shoot them.

John Faulk – TREASURERS REPORT – Complimented the board. Will fill-in as Accountant.  Volunteers are organizing a Veterans Day Parade after the Annual Meeting in November. (NOTE: Annual Meeting is Saturday, November 10th at 10:00AM)

Jack Miller – STORE SURVEY – Question regarding store was previously answered.

Karen Levett – Issue regarding pool was settled last year. Moms with babies were 8-9AM T-F and vacate at 9AM. Ladies water aerobics T-F 9-10AM. The ladies who exercise use the shallow part of the pool and need 3-4’ to do their movements and there are approximately 15 attending. We’re geriatric and we need to hear the instructor. We reserve the pool just as we’d reserve any other activity and don’t want small children interrupting. The water aerobics class is one of the few amenities of seniors and has been on the books for 30 years.

Marsha Griffis – There is no law against exercise time. The issue is safety when children (older siblings) who aren’t involved in swimming lessons and are jumping around or freely swimming. We just need to work out some rules. It’s pretty simple really.

Ashley Holley – I propose to open the swimming pool for everyone at 8:00AM, which means others would be in the pool during the ladies swim class. It’s about equality. It is discrimination if the board gives a time based on age, race or gender. If you’re going to open reservation times, where do you draw the line? You have to give it to everyone. I’m happy to share the pool. It’s everyone’s pool and should be open to everyone. I’m speaking on behalf of everyone. I don’t want to take away anyone’s privilege. There might be other demographics who want to use the pool and they deserve a time slot, too. I’m speaking on behalf of the entire community now.

President Rocky Walker said we’re going to table this issue and asked the two groups to work together.

 

  • ADJOURN – Motion was made, seconded, passed unanimously and meeting adjourned at 8:19 PM.

 

 

 

 

__________________________________                                        ____________

Approved                                                                                           Date

 

________________________________________________                        ____________           

Respectfully submitted by Dene Huettel, Board Secretary             Date   

                                               

 

 

 

Details

Date:
August 23, 2018
Time:
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Event Category: